Sigma Alpha Epsilon was founded on March 9, 1856, at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Its founders were Noble Leslie DeVotie, Nathan Elams Cockrell, John Barratt Rudulph, John Webb Kerr, Samuel Marion Dennis, Wade Hampton Foster, Abner Edwin Patton, and Thomas Chappell Cook.
Of all existing national social fraternities today, SAE is the only one founded in the Antebellum South. Its national headquarters, the Levere Memorial Temple, was established on the campus of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, in 1929.
The creed of SAE is The True Gentleman, which each member strives to emulate throughout their lives.
In the Spring of 1968, a small group of young men encouraged and assisted by the Wabash Valley SAE Alumni Association formed a local fraternity called the Phi Alpha Fraternity to pursue a charter of SAE.
On June 13-15, 1969, at the 113th SAE Anniversary National Convention in San Francisco, California the Phi Alpha Fraternity was one of thirteen local fraternities granted a charter of SAE.
On October 25, 1969, the Indiana Sigma Chapter was chartered as the 196th chapter of SAE. Since then over 1,100 young men have been initiated into the local chapter.